Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I put this scene together in 3ds max while exploring some material tests I did last week. I was working on dialing in a procedural brass material and thought it would be cool to see the inside of a futuristic bullet :D

Friday, October 7, 2011

I have been following Choco's thread on Polycount about using Worldmachine to process erosion on terrain meshes so I figured I would give it a try! It was surprisingly easy to get up and running with the software.

I started with a base mesh from 3ds Max then brought it into zbrush to sculpt the basic terrain layout. I exported a height map from Zbrush and used that as a base in Worldmachine. I processed the mesh in Worldmachine with erosion and added a color overlay macro. After a little tweaking I had a mesh I was happy with so I exported out a series of passes including a mesh that I brought back into zbrush for more detail work. The final texture was composited in Photoshop using a combination of photos, renders, and maps from Worldmachine.

The next step is to bring this into UDK and set up a multi material shader for some detail diffuse textures and add in some sculpted rocks. More to come soon...

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Here are a couple concepts I put together for a run down building.

I did a quick test of a vexel illustration of a Koenigsegg, this was so damn fun! Next time I would like to render out some parts in 3ds max and add in some extra polish.

Above are screenshots of a test level I put together in about 8 weeks.

And above are some images of another test level that I put together over the course of about 4 weeks.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

This is a series of storyboards I put together to illustrate an action sequence.

Here are a bunch of really old screen grabs from work I did on Pirates of the Burning Sea :D These were all environments that I modeled, textured, lit, and assembled. Each town took approximately 2 months to complete, on average they were about 500k tri's each.

Above is a screen grab from Maya of the town Jenny Bay, Below is a sample of the textures and light maps that I created for various Pirates towns. The light maps for Pirates were baked by hand in 3ds Max and then adjusted in Photoshop. My process was to bake out an occlusion pass, an overall direct lighting pass, and a localized light pass and then composite them in Photoshop. The average town had roughly 50 light maps so I would create an action in Photoshop to make consistent changes across the series of light maps.

Below are a few of the prop assets that I created for Pirates. These were used as dynamic placer objects that we could add to towns for missions.